Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Two Weeks

It's been a while since I've had a post I know. And this probably won't be terribly long. I've been fighting a nasty cold for the last few days so the free time I've had I've wanted to sleep. I did get a fair amount of free time as Kristina's sister, Amanda, and her daughter were just out for a long weekend. Amanda did a fabulous job of watching Alex allowing me to get some things done, and, well, sleep.

Anyway, today marks Kristina being in the hospital for two weeks now. It feels like it has been much longer than that and it feels like eons ago that we first heard the term "momo twins." Assuming Kristina can stay in the hospital another five weeks I sure hope that time feels as if it speeds up. Time really slowed over the weekend and Monday as the monitoring caught a few somewhat significant decelerations in the twins' heart rates. This was nerve racking and also can lead to a bit of a viscous cycle where seeing decelerations during monitoring leads to extended periods of monitoring which means a more likely chance of seeing more decelerations, and so on. Luckily the twins did well enough to break this cycle and Kristina has been back on one hour monitoring sessions and the twins have done quite well over the past couple of days. Our spirits, well at least mine at any rate, have been buoyed a bit by one of the night nurses who is from the U.K. He speculates that any pregnant woman monitored this frequently would also show significant decelerations, but these are never caught because "normal" pregnancies entail basically no monitoring. I hope this theory will settle my nerves in the future so that I will obsess over each blip of the monitoring sessions.

So, two weeks are in the books and a long holiday weekend is ahead. It will be nice to have some good visitation time with Kristina. My parents (well, my Mom really) are making Thanksgiving dinner and then taking it on the road to the hospital tomorrow. Certainly this has been a tough stretch, but I will have plenty of thanks to give tomorrow and I will post many of them tomorrow as well.

Now if I can just get time to speed up...

1 comment:

Denise said...

I'll start working on that "time speeding up" machine as soon as I can. I think many of us could benefit from it!

That's great that your mom is bringing a feast to the hospital. Believe me, hospital Thanksgiving food is nothing to get excited about. Tell everyone "Happy Thanksgiving" from us!